Longboard Magazine goes under

Longboard Magazine is no longer – it has gone the way of the dodo, perhaps to reappear in some other form. The phones are disconnected – phones for subscriptions and phones for selling ads, as well. This is not good news.

I've always partial to Logger Mag, and in particular the fact that they've been part of a longboarding revival ushered in by Joel Tudor. No matter your take on log rolling, it's a shame to see a mag like Longboard Magazine stop the presses.

Longboard Magazine recognized early-ish the eventualy decline of print media, and attempted to create a downloadable PDF version of the glossy magazine. Unfortunately, that model didn't work out. Furthermore, it's definitely not a friendly economic climate for advertising sales for something niche-y like longboarding, itself inside a pretty niche-y industry that is surfing. That's why the plug was pulled on Water Magazine a few months back, another glossy that was well received in the surfing community.

Guy Motil, the former editor and publisher was not available for comment at the time of writing.  December 2008 was the last issue.

Update: Here's the official release from publisher Guy Motil:

The recent economic and banking crisis here in the United States has had a dramatic impact on the domestic longboard community. Within days of Lehman’s banking collapse and the accompanying Wall Street plunge our offices were inundated with cancellations of advertising contracts and surf shop orders. In addition to these cancellations, many of our clients informed us that they would be unable to pay existing invoices any time in the near future (many of these businesses were already in the 180-day-plus category). In addition, the local banks in our area cancelled upcoming small business loans and froze existing lines of credit, this having a direct affect on Longboard Magazine and many of our local clients. Ultimately it appears that this situation affected the surf industry nation-wide. These are friends of ours with whom we have done business for many years, and include some of the most well-known brands in surfing. We feel that asking these companies to commit to further advertising and financial obligations at this point would not only be unfair but irresponsible.
As a result, Longboard Magazine will be suspending our print publishing until after the January 2009 trade shows. It should be noted that we are not shutting down Longboard Magazine, only holding off printing our next issue until the longboard community can recover from the current financial crisis it is now experiencing.
As a result of this decision, we have been forced to lay off most of our staff including advertising director Mike Aguirre and managing editor Chasen Marshall. We will continue working with freelance staff and independent contractors for the foreseeable future.
On a positive note, we will continue to expand our website
http://www.longboardmagazine.com and we would like to exchange links and information with anyone in the longboard community. In addition to our website, we are also completing several hard-cover book projects. Our recent book, Surfboards, was a critical and commercial success. We believe that book publishing is an important component in preserving surfing’s history and addressing concerns for the coastal environment.

Comments

1. Todd Southern says:

I paid for my 14 issue subscription,and never received anything.Nothing.Thanks for the screw job bro.

2. Profile photo of Surfing HQ says:

ya a lot of folks are pissed.

3. Does anyone know how I can get reimbursed for the 14 issues I paid for?

4. Profile photo of Surfing HQ says:

I will ask them. But I think there is probably not much of an option. You could complain to the California Consumer Affairs branch, and that may actually help…but lemme check with them.

5. I got screwed also. I am going to curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb.

6. Theycall Me Bruce says:

I too was burned on my two year subscription by these gutless weasels!!! This is the kind of screwing that’s liable to earn a guy a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let’s just say that guy on the business end of this well deserved retribution won’t be the prettiest fellow at the next Heritage Foundation gathering.

7. Also just paid for a new subscription as a christmas gift and want reimbursement. Hopefully they rebound. Liked the mag.

8. Add my name to the list of 2 year “re-ups” and now out my bucks and mag. Never even recieved the December 2008 issue!!

9. john goddard says:

I always got a copy from our local Borders Bookshop and was disappointed to read here that it’s out of production. Interestingly, Australia, a much smaller market is able to sustain two high class longboard magazines that issue much more regularly as well. This seems so ironical, even allowing for harsh economic times ! Perhaps the severity of these economic conditions hasn’t hit downunder, yet !

10. Brad Jennings says:

What goes around comes around!

11. Gary Higgins says:

It’s rather redundant of Guy Motil to tell us “on a positive note we will continue to expand our website,” WHEN IT DOESN’T EXIST ANYMORE!

Inside sources state that notice was given to the staff back in October of 2008 that they were closing down, and lay offs were imminent. Coincident, I renewed my subscription that same month.

GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK GUY MOTIL/BERNIE MADOFF!!!!!

12. Had an subscription since 98′ and just renewed. Thanks for the heads-up for being a loyal customer!!
    My time on the toilet just want be the same.

13. Guy Motil called his staff together on October 31, 2008 to tell them of the magazine’s imminent demise, and that there would be lay offs. However, he kept taking subscribers money. Is this right, of course not. He knew ahead of time that there were problems, thus this makes him an extortionist, and we who sent him money for subscriptions have no recourse but to stand in line and wait.

Sources tell me that some of the former staff of LB magazine are starting their own magazine called morSurf, and that they too are owed mega bucks by Guy Motil.

What needs to be done is to write letters to Motil, and tell him what you think, and also send letters to the editors of local news papers in the San Clememte and So Cal areas.

Send letters to:

Guy Motil
    253 Canada
    San Clememte, Ca 92672
    (949)492-1350

This above address and phone number are public record, so nothing illegal here is being done. I found it on zabasearch.com.

14. Goatskull says:

This is sad. Longboard Magazine was pretty much the only American surf mag outside of The Surfer’s Journal that didn’t make you feel old if you are over 40. I hope things eventually work out and the mag goes back into production. I suppose this was coming though. The economy is totaly in the tank with no light at the end of the tunnel so a fringe mag like this would be one of the first to cease. I think on top of that the longboarding revival scene has faded quite a bit from it’s boom years. I remember in the mid to late 90’s you would see tons of 11 to 18 year old longboarders out there surfing on completely retro style boards and riding like it was 1961. Hell they were surfing more like it was the early 60’s than longboarders half their age. But over time I think they just got kind of board with longboarding and moved on to shortboards and the many alternative shapes that came into vogue. Even the old timers I think moved on into these “alternative” shapes as even they got kind of board with longboarding. At one time there were two choices. Either a board was over 9.0 or a potato chip. Now there are mid shapes, minni eggs, hybrids, retro fishes, or even 70’s style shortboards.

15. ron swan says:

I too had a subscription to this great magazine and miss reading it. I do not fault the editor or feel taken advantage of. It is incorrect and malicious to assume Mr. Motil profited from others misfortunes. I assume he lost more than most in this venture. This, coupled with the unplesant task of terminating friends and co workers, along with the guilt of failure cause by larger forces out side of ones control are larger than my pain of being out a few bucks for future issues. If this was an AIG occurance I’d understand better.

16. Chris Pentland says:

Man I was wondering why my next mag was not here. This sucks since it was a pretty damn good mag (a little thin at times)and I have been a long time subscriber!

Hopefully someone will come up with another one to read.

Sign of the times!

17. Byron walker says:

I am a surfer and an artist. i’m trying to get information regarding the 2009 art issue. i would like to find out what the requriements are for submitting art for this years issue. Please contact me at this e-mail address, or for quicker contact phone me at my cell 407 6193006.
    thanks hang loose,….Byron Walker

18. Clyde Barroso says:

We all lost a great magazine. Some of us lost a few bucks on the subscription renewals. I don’t know Guy Motil personally, but as a business owner, I know that he has lost more than all of us combined. If you think he’s sitting on the beach laughing because he has our subscription money you should be ashame to call yourself a surfer. You don’t produce a magazine like LONGBOARD to get rich. You do it for the love of the lifestyle, for the stoke. Like I said, I don’t know him, but I know he’s a brother, same tribe as the rest of us, all connected by the ocean. He’s just a victim of this screwed up economy. We should have a little compassion, cut him some slack, it’s just a wipeout, if he’s a surfer, he’ll get back up. Good luck Guy.

19. Danny Jacques says:

I’m afraid I must agree with Clyde! We all hate having lost our money, our subscription to probably the best surfing mag around. But, I doubt Guy Motil and staff are enjoying life right about now. C’mon bro’s. 16 years on, this was a labor of love of the stoke. I would renew again right now if it would help revive the mag – Thank you Guy! Mahalo Akua Nalu!

Aloha

20. Sorry to see the best Surf magazine take a hit.It is bad for us all when a business closes. There is a little entrepreneur in all of us and it seems like Guy was trying and it just didn’t work. Let’s cut them a little slack..It is very tough in business right now and I bet it will be back.
    Hurry back with more cool stuff Longboard

21. To Clyde, Danny, & Jack, “GUY & GAIL MOTIL KNEW IT WAS COMING!” Yet they continued to take our money for over two years! How do I know this, LB magazine backed out of sponsorship of the Long Board Championships in Hawaii over four years ago. Their advertising prices went up, not because they were losing ad space, not because their circulation was down, not because the longboard industry had taken a hit, but because Guy and Gail Motil got greedy! Ask any surf shop shaper/owner, or advertiser in the magazine, they knew all along that LB was on its way out when they tried to renew their ads.

And yes this was the best Longboard magazine, and yes maybe they quite possibly are very humbled now, but at least they could have given us the subscribers a heads up, or options, like merchandise in exchange for the money we now threw away. But they didn’t, and this makes them dishonest in my book. And the economy had nothing to do with their choices of poor business ethics.

22. surfinbird says:

Loved the mag, old school stoke sandwiched in with the new guard to pay the bills and forward the cause. I feel sorry for all of the folks who worked their asses off at the magazine,, subscribers , like myself who lost money, and the longboard community as a whole. None of the other surf mags give a rats ass about over 9′ gear, or the anachronistic riders!Maby some of those logger breaks will be less crowded…. now I gotta go back and pull an old issue a month for some stoke….. Surfinbird

23. Stacey Finch says:

Oh No….so sorry to hear this. I was wondering why I was not receiving any more mags. I was almost going to blame the postman for sending the mail to the wrong address…again!! Anyway, It was a great magazine with colorful history and stories and beautiful pictures. Really the soul of the lifestyle…Mahalo your friend of the desert, DesertSurferGal

24. The Chairman says:

Man,
    I’ve been wondering for the past couple of months why I hadn’t received my mag. It was a good read. Now I have to find something else to read at the beach when there are no waves. Either that or I read my wifes Eating Well mag. I don’t think so. Heck I’m not sure how long my subscription went for, but I’ve been getting it for so many years now. I am bummed. Almost as bummed as when I heard that Dale Velzy had passed on. No, not even. That was just a day full of sorrow.

25. Heywood Jablome says:

…..Everybody just settle down. Paddle out and move on. It was a great magazine….”but it`s over Johnny.”Consider your subscription money way gone and next time you see Guy Motil drop in on a wave….SNAKE `EM!

26. Mike Aguirre says:

Longboarders, Fish, Egg Hybrid and Stand up surfers rejoice, you have a new rag.

morSURF has launched it’s first full issue and is being distributed from coast-to-coast as of this writing.

Wanna see what’s inside the new issue, go to morsurf.com and you can view the entire issue.

Good waves.

27. greg lipp says:

i want back my disks of my artwork immediately…sounds like u owe a bunch of money 2 people…i think out of respect for ur previous followers…u should return everyones $ back 2 them as well as all of the artists images and disks being returned to them. u should also thank them 4 keeping u n business as long as u could. greg

28. surfsarge says:

Mike A: who started the morsurf mag? It better not have Guy Motil involved! If so, anyone who lost a subscription should get this new mag for free!!

29. it’s sad that our economy is putting a hurt on so many great things in life. I also read that Sufer mag is also go under.

30. Fyi, not only did guy motil cheat you all out of money for your subscribtions, he declined to pay the publishing company $500,000 it costs to make the magazine. He then shut down the business and since it was a corporation, he was not personally liable. What a class act Guy Motil.

31. I was wondering why I hadn’t seen a mag for a long time. I was in the process of yelling at my mailman. But this is a sad realization, my husband was so proud of finally picking out a Xmas gift that I loved. Guy Motil is no different than a Wall Street jerks – taking subscription money know he was closing-Karma is a b_it_h!

32. Yeah, I have been wondering what happend to my subscription. Now, after reading these I can tell I will never get it. THAT’S BAD BUSINESS. After reading all the people who lost their money I am sure we all got scammed. Anyway, it was a good mag and it stoked me daily. At least now I can move on with a new mag. If this guy Motil was cool he would have sent us all back issues or free merchandise. SOMETHING…..Anyway, see you out in the water. Scott in SD.

33. Weird how we went on a longboarding craze back when the magazine started. That’s when i finally picked up a longboard. Now i do both. ~~~~~~~

I never subscribed, so ahahahaha hahaha at those who got screwed and are winning. Waaa waaa waaaaaaa.

34. north florida stoke says:

I was bummed for about 5 minutes. Then I found Surfer’s Path. Good articles obviously written by someone older than 12….Screw Guy Motil……I did….OOOHHHH

35. Peter from NSW Aust says:

Tough luck guys.
    In Oz Pacific Longboarder is published by a one magazine group so it’s all l’boarding and good stuff. Australian Longboarder isn’t as good but it shits on the deal you’ve got at the moment.

36. pissed in hawaii says:

I kept waiting for my mag, but soon realized they must have gone out of business. Motil sure lacks class. He could have at least sent out a letter to his loyal subscribers. I agree w/ Scott (5/29); at least one fricking old mag from its archives woulda been something. As for Marty (06/01), he’s probably one of those guys who drop in on everybody and act like they really live the surf culture. Real surfers would feel burned by what they thought was a mag w/ some soul.

37. This was foreseeable with the high price of the mag! For those who got screwed, try attaching a lien on any of their business or private personal or real property. Liens are easy to file at their local courthouse. Great way to jack with people.

38. Art Higbee says:

Well pull my head out of my arse. Here I thought somebody was stealing them out of my mailbox all these months.

39. Been a subscriber since issue 2. This sucks all the way around. As others have said “Bad Business”.
    At least I have all the old issues to look at.
    CU out there..

40. Camper Don says:

Long may we glide! Isnt that what its all about.

41. lil miss sunshine says:

hey everyone, as i can see there is a lot of hate in the air, but geeez give guy a break he lost the only thing that brought him joy for the last 15 years, he gave his all to longboard magazine. remember there is always 2 sides to the story!!!! times are tough and all small business are failing, it was a great magazine and i will treasure my copies!!!!!!!

42. Gail Motil says:

>>Regarding lack of payments to employees, never once in 16 years did any of the staff members of Longboard Magazine go without getting a paycheck when on time.<<

Sorry – typo – it should read:

Regarding lack of payments to employees, never once in 16 years did any of the staff members of Longboard Magazine go without getting a paycheck on time.

43. Gail, read my comments on CL LA Rants & Raves to your response from my post to you today, of which you gave me no opportunity to respond to your lengthy reply. I’ll say it again, my source stated exactly what I said above, that you still owe former employee’s money. It was over several phone conversations too, so who’s telling the truth Gail?

The fact still remains, you owe me $62. Cash or merchandise, your choice.

44. Gail Motil says:

I tried posting this last night but only the correction came through – trying one last time . . .

I’m posting this trusting the integrity of Daily Stoke to publish this in its entirety.

To Gary Higgins (previous poster on DS):

Dear Gary,

The circumstances involving the closing of Longboard Magazine have been a sad situation for most of us. While Guy and I have been advised by legal counsel and business partners alike not to make public statements disclosing details regarding this situation, I feel it is important for me to personally address some of the misconceptions you continue to bring up about me in public forums.

Many of the things that made Longboard Magazine so unique in the surf world also made it vulnerable in many ways. For over 15 years we provided a forum for the opinions and stories of a segment of the surf community that the other media and indeed most of the surf industry totally ignored. During that time Longboard and the only other independently owned surf magazine, Surfers Journal, were the only two publications that regularly covered the longboard and historic sides of the sport of surfing.

Both publications fought to overcome challenges that the shortboard magazines, being backed by huge, multi-million-dollar publishing corporations, never had to deal with. You and many other readers read Longboard because we offered you something you couldn’t get elsewhere. The reason for that was that the magazine was produced by people who have put their entire life into this sport, and who really care about the impact Longboard had on surfers everywhere. Decisions about the content were made by surfers, not by large publishing corporations that neither knew about nor cared about surfing and our surf culture. We and a small group of other businesses in the longboard community do this because surfing is our life.

In 2008 the longboard community was already having a tough time. Many of the magazine’s advertisers had not paid Longboard Magazine for any of the issues that they had advertised in for that entire year, and some past due accounts went back even further than that.Through the summer months of 2008 all of us worked hard producing articles and photos for the remaining issues of the year.

In mid-September 2008 the first major blow to the longboard community came with the national banking crisis. Expected business loan renewals and lines of credit were canceled for Longboard and for several of their advertisers. In Longboard’s case, these loans and lines of credit had been operating for over 15 years without a problem. At that point, we were nearing completion on production for Issue No. 102 of Longboard Magazine. For the next 30 days we saw several advertisers ask to skip an issue or two from their advertising contracts, or to be let out of all advertising obligations to Longboard entirely. Up until the last few days of October 2008 we all believed we would soon print a new issue of Longboard Magazine.

In late October 2008 the situation had become so serious that we realized printing an issue at that time would have been a losing proposition. At that point we had not laid off any staff members, and had indeed been spending money on employees, photo scanning, comps, and other magazine production expenses. Faced with tens of thousands of dollars a month in salaries and employer-paid health insurance, we made the tough decision to lay off the majority of Longboard’s staff with the idea of seeing how the financial environment looked after the surf industry trade shows in January 2009.

By this time (November 2008) all of the owner/partners at Longboard Magazine probably realized that getting the magazine back on track in 2009 was a long shot; we worked on creating alternate business plans and publishing strategies in the hope that Longboard could be rebuilt and emerge stronger in 2009. With the situation showing little improvement, if any, it was determined at the end of January 2009 to permanently close down Longboard Magazine.

Gary, in your statements on the internet you claim that we knew months in advance that we were going to close down the magazine. That statement is just plain untrue, and the facts regarding the banking situation and our magazine production efforts through October 2008 bear that fact out.

You claim to have gotten your facts from an “inside source” – I doubt that anyone can come forward to back your statements when the magazine’s owners, legal counsel and accountant were still deciding how to proceed in December of 2008, months after we let most of the Longboard staff go.

It should be noted that the nation’s economic crisis which began in earnest in mid-September 2008 not only affected Longboard Magazine but caused the collapse of various financial institutions, a couple of car companies and 527 magazines as of December 31, 2008, with another 47+ publications since, including even the recent bankruptcy filings of both Surfer and Surfing Magazines.

Where the subscribers are concerned, in mid-October 2008, against heavy staff resistance, I personally had the magazine’s art department put a hold on the shopping cart function on the Longboard website for subscriptions until we had an idea of when we might next print. In mid-November, I started returning subscriber checks to people. When we no longer had the funds to return checks, I personally shredded both checks and pending subscriber credit card orders we were holding so no one could deposit them. Look on the internet, there are people who say just that: “I ordered Longboard Magazine but they did not take my money.” For the next few months we told people who called in for subscriptions that we could not take their money because we didn’t know when we would next publish. In fact, we had numerous people come to the office where we had to explain why we wouldn’t take their subscriptions. Unfortunately, in November, having laid off most of the staff, a small number of subscriber checks were deposited along with some advertiser checks while we were still figuring out what we were going to do.

Regarding lack of payments to employees, never once in 16 years did any of the staff members of Longboard Magazine go without getting a paycheck when when it was due. The insinuation that staff members weren’t paid their salary is totally false. The exception over the years is that often myself, Gail, and the other employed partners in the business would quite often go without paychecks in an attempt to keep the business fluid. We were the only ones who worked for no compensation for a large percentage of the time we published Longboard—we are the only ones who were not paid. You might find it interesting to note that at least one key Longboard Magazine staff member had already started a competing business while still under full-time employment with Longboard Magazine. This new business was of course not disclosed to the owners of Longboard Magazine until after the layoffs of October 31st – the legalities of this are still being looked into.

As far as Longboard’s remaining obligations, including your $62 you paid last August, all the owners of Longboard Magazine are currently looking into ways to resolve these issues to everyone’s satisfaction.

On a final personal note, I stand behind my character and reputation in the surf industry and that of my husband Guy, as well as that of the other principals in Longboard Magazine. Guy and I have a long history of service to the surfing community. We have donated money and resources to countless non-profit organizations in surfing, environmental and other causes since the 1970s, as well as volunteering thousands of man-hours of work to those same causes. Few people in the surf industry can claim a greater commitment to the lifestyle, culture and well-being of surfing, and even though Longboard is no longer publishing, these efforts continue. Gary, I notice on your Facebook page from which you sent your latest salvo that it’s closed to viewing – it would be interesting to know more about you and your wife’s contribution to surfing in Petaluma.

And lastly, I and all involved with Longboard Magazine are sincerely sorry we couldn’t make it work. We put everything into it, and we did our best for 15 years. Thank you to the people who posted here who get that.

Aloha,

Gail Motil

45. I was a charter subscriber and, like a lot of folks who have commented, left some money on the table. Yes it would have been nice to find out about the fate of the magazine from the owners and not sit around for months wondering what happened. Having said that I’m giving the benefit the doubt to Guy and Gail. This economy is a bitch on wheels. I have been watching companies get crushed, including many of my customers, since late 2007. When your balls get put in the big bad economy vice there is little you can do about it unless you have a back-up trust fund to bail you out, which most of us don’t.

So Guy and Gail thanks for the run while it lasted. I’ll keep my issues around as reference material and move on. For those of us who grew up on and appreciate the printed surf mag, pray real hard that The Surfer’s Journal rides out the storm.

46. Here’s a quote from one of my sources of whom I believe more than your spewing vitriolic dribble: “Guy and Gail really missed there calling, they should have been STORY tellers. Though I must admit they always wrote great letter, particularly when it came to explaining there questionable character.”

I also had been in contact with numerous advertisers in LB magazine, of which told me that you kept taking their money all the month of October for future issues that never materialized.

And lastly, I’m not just someone of whom you stole money from, and failed to honor a contractual agreement for a service that you never provided. I did all my homework, contacted many individuals in the business, and believe them more than you, especially when you blame it on the economic recession. Remember, this started several years ago when you pulled out of sponsorship of the LB contest in Waikiki, of which I had a lengthy conversation with someone on your staff that stated you were in trouble then.

47. I wondered was why no more magazines were arriving. I am also a small business owner and can completely relate to Guy and Gail’s situation. I as well left money on the table. I am thankful for the issues I did receive and wish all this negative energy posted here could be transferred into something more positive and meaningful. I’m praying with Bear(07/15/09) for TSJ.

48. Georgia Albright Esq. says:

I too had been a long time subscriber of Longboard Magazine, and was very surprised, and saddened that it went out of business. However, and that being said, they did have a legal and contractual agreement with their subscribers who sent them money in good faith that they would continue to receive a service that was promised them when the Magazine took their money.

I on the other hand, contacted my Credit Card holder/Bank, filled out about a dozen forms, and was returned about 80% of the money I had paid for the two year subscription price. The irony here is that Longboard does not in any way pay any of that money, the Credit Card company takes the loss.

It’s sad that a Magazine with so much value in the Surf industry took such a hit in a said short period of time without any knowledge. And as this Gary Higgins has attempted to prove, of which I agree, there were signs that the Motil’s knew of their short comings, but seemed to squander innocent subscribers and advertisers money away without informing them.

It will be interesting to see if the Motil’s will make good their promise of “looking into ways to resolve these issues to everyones satisfaction” in an expedient manner.

Good luck Gail and Guy, Longboard Magazine is, and will be missed for all that it contributed.

49. Gregg Albright Esq. says:

To those of you of whom were, or felt burned by the Motil’s for taking your subscription money and not receiving anymore issues, you can call your bank, or credit institution if you paid using a credit card. They will send you about a dozen forms to fill out, and can opt to refund you a percentage of the money. However, and that being said, Longboard Magazine will not be absorbing any of the cost refunded to you, only the Credit Card/Bank will.

Many of you expressed much distaste for the Motil’s for taking your money and not providing the service they promised you. It is interesting to note here that Daily Stoke seems to be one sided on this issue, and not allowing the truth to be told by others who have credible knowledge as to what really transpired. Simply meaning that there were indications that the magazine was about to wipe out several years before October 2008. Of what I speak is the rumors that surfaced during the last LB sponsored contest in Waikiki years ago.

And as Gail sums it up, and lastly, her and all involved with Longboard Magazine are sincerely sorry they couldn’t make it work, “BUT THEY KEPT TAKING YOUR MONEY!” And that’s illegal by all words of the law. And a class action lawsuit is in order here.

50. Mike Sweeney says:

Sorry to see Longboard go, I’ve been a subscriber since the beginning,a great magazine. At least I have 101 issues on the shelf and even the grandkids like to read this magazine. Best of Luck to Guy and Gail

51. Brandon Godwin says:

Yeah- I echo the complaints and sadness over the magazine going under- since I liked it as well as had paid for it- like so many others-!!!

52. Tom Ferro says:

Remember how the magazine would say what month the next issue would be out?Do you also remember how the last few years it didnt say when the next issue was coming.When the month passed,then another passed I would drop them an email to ask what the holdup was.Not long after afew incidences like that they quit saying when the next issue would be out.That was quite afew years ago,was the writing already on the wall.Its demise ,while too bad, isnt all that suprising I guess

53. Suck it up Garry you’re crying over spilt milk. Quit staring at your screen thinking of ways to get your beloved $62 back and go buy a different magazine.

54. I’d been wondering what happened to my LB issues and whether or not I’d missed re-upping my sub but now I see the grim reality. It’s another publication that gets toasted. Too bad. It was a good magazine with lots of cool photos and profiles in the “where are they now?” kind of vein. As for the lost subscription money… hey, I’ve been burned before. I’ll get over it. You will too. It still sucks, though. But MORE important to me is the fact that LB is gone. Say what you want about G&G Motil and how they shut it down. I will say thanks for a great run with a very fine publication. My subscription money was well-spent, whether I got every issue I was due or not. I’d rather have the magazine than the money… anytime.
    Thanks for the issues that DID arrive. Aloha… TT

55. Don Brightman says:

Gosh darn . . . and I accused my neighbors for swiping my mags. I have all but one issue and always looked forward to the next one. Thanks for the waves G & G and good luck into the future.

Aloha!

56. One year later, Longboard Magazine & Gail Motil CFO have still not made good their promise of “looking into ways to resolve these issues to everyone’s satisfaction.” Where’s the professionalism and business ethics Gail Motil? You have received numerous email, and phone calls from me, and still you ignore the fact that you owe not only me money, but others too for subscription monies paid.

If you’re still knitting Gail, that money you spend there could be sent to those of us of whom you duped!

57. Edward von Petersdorff says:

I am sorry to see LONGBOARD magazine go away. People who surf understand the dynamics of living in world that is constantly changing. Nothing stays the same, good or bad. We must adapt and be flexable to changes that we cannot control. Maybe one of the readers of LB who are now angry about losing their subscription money could have run the company better to the point it would not have failed, but you didn’t. You did not shoulder the weight of the business or it’s commitments, you had the choice to read it or not. Yes you spent your hard earned money, but what you received in return is much more than the pages of photos, stories, and advertisements. By purchasing and reading LB, you took part in keeping alive a culture that is both ancient and new. Surfing is an experience. Sometimes you go out and the experience is great. Other times it is not. We need to hold onto all the experiences in life, for that is how we grow and become better people. Try to forget about the few bucks you may never see again but that can be replaced, and focus on the content, the stoke, and whatever other positive influences the magazine had on you that can never be taken away and remeber that we are imperfect people in an imperfect world. You may see Guy and Gail in the water someday because they are surfers, and I hope that you will be respectful because living is tuff and we survive because we love each other, not hate each other.

58. I too got screwed on a 2 year subscription. Sorry but unless these people are working two jobs to pay off all the people they screwed, then they’re just like Lehman brothers just on a smaller scale. You don’t keep taking money from people when you know you’re going under. Would it have broke the bank to at least send a post card to say “we’re finished” I recently moved in April and did the change of address thing to the mag and figured maybe they just messed up. So I went to the net today to find out the mag was finished. Crappy way to do business and so much for all the soul surfing crap! What a joke.

59. Well, that certainly sucks. I was looking into adding a subscription to my Christmas wish list. I guess I can ask for Surfers Journal and nothing else since that’ll wipe out the budget. It was a great magazine, and thanks for what you did.

60. It is a shame to see LBM go out of business. The magazine was a true labor of love for Guy and Gail Motil and they should be commended on a job well done. I have had a long standing relationship with them …and even though I was due a considerable $sum for royalties on a film I made for LBM “Contours”, they will always remain my friends. I am confident that anyone who lost out on a monitory level can expect to see something for their troubles. Guy and Gail Motil are really good folks, who fell victim to a bad economy and a flaky surf industry that doesn’t seem to reward good work. All I can say is, good friendship is better than money any day of the week. I will miss the good times and awesome surf trips I had with Guy and LBM. We are much better off to forgive and move forward than to stew in bitterness. Let’s get happy folks!

61. Gary Higgins / GA says:

I admit that I was one of the individuals who got caught up “Stewing in Bitterness” with the fact that I lost money ( a miniscule $62.00 ) from a subscription that slipped through just before LBM’s unfortunate demise. At this time I wish to apologize publicly for any and all comments I made that were miss-interpreted, and or taken out of context by both Gail and Guy, and anybody else who has read my childish rants.

Longboard Magazine was one of, if not the best magazine of its type for the sport of surfing. Its comprehensive articles, coverage, and photos of events pertaining to Longboarding were exceptional. Guy is to be commended for his photography, and Gail for all the sacrifice she too put into the Magazine, not to forget both of their tireless contributions to the sport too.

I wish them the best, and hope that someday all of us may share the stoke of Surfing together again.

62. wow Australian Longboard is 116.00 US for one year… what a deal! – Not!
    I would subscribe if it was half of that but that is way too much moola.

Depressed longboard is gone… Anyone know where to get back copies?

63. biglongboarder says:

does anyone know what was the number of the last copy ? I think I have thr FULL set
    paid for 18 months subs so dun my dosh
    UK suurfer
    thanks

64. kevin hubble says:

your having a laugh no wonder we havent seen it in the uk for a while. the one mag that i liked reading cause it was dedicated to long boarding. i think its a joke!!!

65. So sorry LB went down. When I didn’t re-up, Guy sent me an LB T-shirt. So he sure never ripped me off. Having been on the leadership side of disagreements, I recognize the “2 Sides” arguments. There are probably elements of truth in both, yet the leader is privy to the whole real story that others/consumers aren’t (and cannot be), so I’m giving Guy and Gail the benefit of the doubt. The only really bad decision he ever made before this was trying to make Chasen a photog (CM’s a great writer…). Mrs. Howard and I used to train at the same gym, so I’d get the scoops when Devon and Zack were there. And I knew some of the staff people at SURFER for many years. These things ebb and flow, that’s the bottom line. Go with the flow, and find another spot to paddle out when things break down at yours. But thanks, Guy and Gail for the valiant effort, and for a great mag for a long time (I subscribed for a while, as I was into the mag from ’94 to the end).

66. Wayne Roten says:

One of my paintings made the cover on Longboard Magazine’s Annual Surf Art Issue #101. I knew Guy Motil and a few of the other staff members and believe me, none of them are happy campers. If you have one ounce of mercy in your hearts, you’ll realize these guys are way bummed. Longboard was their baby and to them it was like losing a child. My sincere prayers go out to all of them and their families.

67. What happened to Mike Aguirre & his venture/attempt to publish morSurf Magazine? I saw about 3 copies on the news stands, and it seemed that he was picking up where Longboard left off. Looked to be a great magazine, but no more morSurf too?

68. philip kohler says:

i am a body surfer, business owner and did some short-term consulting for G&G a few years back.

i saw their operations grow during the ‘good’ times….and unfortunately suffer during the ‘bad’ times.

please know that they are fine people who ALWAYS paid others prior to paying themselves.

their books, at that time, didnt lie. neither do they.

i wish them all the best.

– philthy

69. Steve Wimer says:

It’s sad to see “Longboard” magazine die. I loved seeing my boards advertised by “T-Street Surfboards” and looking at all the boards in each issue. I knew Gary Motil pretty well back in the 70’s, and he was a cool guy. I still have the book, which is like the magazine, to read when I’m in the mood. I wish the Motil clan the best.

70. This was a very good magazine…been buying surf mags for decades…not old, just ‘Experienced’ minus the Hendrix talent! ALB looks great – but what’s up with that $125/yr? (No Powerball win here) Newspapers and magazines are struggling. I’ll miss this magazine…I thought the local Borders here, just stopped carrying it. As someone said in July 2009 (Bear)…Hope Surfer’s Journal can ride out the rest of the storm. Thank you , Guy and Gail.

71. rick lincoln ave ny says:

I HAVE COPIES OF MAG SINCE 94,95
    WAS GREAT MAGAZINE GREAT FOR BATHROOM IF GUY TOOK THE MONEY HE SUCKS.I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT IN BOOKSTORES FOR LAST 6 MONTHS AND COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHY NO ONE HAD IT.I GUEST MY LONGBOARD SWEATSHIRTS AND OLD EDITIONS ARE WORTH SOMETHING .NOT SELLING

72. rick lincoln ave ny says:

BEST EDITION WAS THE ONE WITH SURFING DITCH PLAINS MONTAUK NY
    KEEP THIS PLACE A SECRET

73. steve, good to here youre alive and well. good looking boards youve made. after decades of living on kauai,Ive been living in fiji for the last three years,still surfing.glade to see some of us made it thru the 70s.i miss the mag too.

74. Capt Teal says:

Knowing the mag was going under weeks ago, they continued to cash all the new 1 and 2 yr subscriptions. If I don’t get reimbursed, Motil has a left hook coming once I catch up to him.

75. I miss this magazine so much……The sooner the democrats are out of office, the sooner the economy will be back….Wake up and vote folks…..
    Chris

76. Man, it was a great magazine! I truly wiill miss it.
    Thanks for a great ride. Thanks Debbie & Robbie. It was the best time ever (1973).

77. What a bunch of crybabies. WHHHHHHAAAAAAA! I lost out on my subscription money. It’s realy a good thing you lost your money. You’re a asshole, and deserve whatever bad happens to you. No one who publishes a surf mag does it to get rich. it’s a losing business, done for the love of it.

78. nakisha thomas says:

i was called by mag. people. theyn took money of my debit card. and i havent received my mags. i just want my money back.

79. This is such a tragedy in many ways. I’ll miss the nostalgic articles, the hot young longboarders who are really good. But most of all, I’ll miss the magazine itself. I remember waiting with “baited breath” as I searched the magazine section of my local market.

And bringing it home to my husband and watching the smile on his face grow. Especially, when he made the cover of the last issue’s Surf Art Contest. He must have gone out that night and purchased ten copies. He was so proud.

Thanks for the memories !!

80. I bought most of my Longboard Magazine’s from a news stand. I’m just really bummed they went out of business. I went to their offices several times, as Guy Motil and one of his employees liked some of the
    “Surf Art” I did. I gave them both signed & numbered prints of Dora and a collage I made that placed 4th in Surfer Magazine’s annual collage contest. I worked with them on some advertising for my early “Surf Art” site. They were very helpful and aided me in “tweeking” the ad, so that it stood out. I made the cover on their very last issue, which was the Art of Surfing. It was a modern piece of Dora, sillouetted through a maze of colors. I was stoked beyond belief. John Severson sent me a congratulatory e-mail. It meant a lot to me, as I’ve idolized Severson ever since I started surfing and drawing back in 1960. Longboard has put my business on the map and I’ll be forever grateful. Sincerely, Wayne D. Roten